We love numbers at North by Northeast, and we use them all the time to talk about our work and the difference we are making. From research done at Kaiser Permanente, we know that successfully treating 36 people with high blood pressure over five years will
We love numbers at North by Northeast, and we use them all the time to talk about our work and the difference we are making. From research done at Kaiser Permanente, we know that successfully treating 36 people with high blood pressure over five years will prevent one heart attack or stroke. We are very proud to share the story our numbers tell about last year. We are grateful to all of our volunteers and staff, whose tireless efforts to improve health outcomes make North by Northeast a place to get high-quality and compassionate care.
Here’s a summary of our 2012 quality outcomes:
• In 2012 we provided 1,594 visits, an increase of 10% from 2011. We also added 129 new patients to our Chronic Disease Registry of patients with high blood pressure, diabetes, asthma, high cholesterol and/or depression.
• We are committed to the African American community of North and inner Northeast Portland. 53% of our patient visits in 2012 were with African American patients, and two-thirds of our hypertensive and diabetic patients are African American. We recognize the changing demographics of our city, and in 2012 we added another zip code (Cully) to our service area.
• We saved our patients hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical costs by providing over 1,800 prescriptions and 800 lab tests – valued at over $210,000 total – at no cost. Thank you to Legacy Health for their generous donation of lab services to North by Northeast every month.
• We’re beating the national standards for blood pressure control, and in doing so we’re helping our patients prevent heart disease, heart attacks and strokes. 77% of our patients with high blood pressure had reached blood pressure control targets at their last visit, compared to only 44% of all American with high blood pressure are at goal.
• We’re especially proud of our rates of blood pressure control among our African American patients. 67% of our patients who have high blood pressure are African American, and 68% of our African American patients with hypertension were at goal by the end of 2012. For African American men nationwide, the rate of blood pressure control is only 30%.
• Our patients with diabetes are seeing their health improve as well, getting blood sugar and blood pressure under control. 78% of our diabetic patients had good or excellent blood sugar control, and 71% of our diabetic patients had blood pressure at goal. This far exceeds the national rate of only 30% of diabetics reaching good blood pressure control.
If you want to read more, please click below for our full quality reports:
2012 Summary: A summary of visits, patient demographics and health outcomes for 2012.
2012 Quality Report: An in-depth look at the quality of care we provided in 2012, including data on vaccinations, preventive care measures and referrals.
Hypertension Quality Report for 2012: A report on how we’re doing getting our patients with high blood pressure to their BP control goals.
Diabetes Quality Report for 2012: A look at our diabetic patients’ health and the various factors that impact it, including cholesterol, blood pressure and vaccinations.
Diabetes and Heart Health: A recent Kaiser report shows the importance for diabetics of controlled blood glucose, blood pressure and cholesterol. This report compares Kaiser’s results with North by Northeast’s.
Thank you for your ongoing support. Together, we are building a stronger community.
“What’s different about North by Northeast is that it’s personal, one-on-one. You really matter to everyone and it shows. I have the utmost respect for these doctors and nurses and administrative people who give of their precious time. They are people helping people and that’s what keeps our community together.”
- a note from a grateful patient