Our North by Northeast family includes Community Health Workers (CHWs), who are trained community members serving as a bridge between our medical providers and the community. Our CHWs provide support to our primary care patients and receive clinical supervision from our Medical Director. We are seeking an additional CHW for our team. The CHW will have an assigned caseload of patients and will work with our Community Care Manager to promote North by Northeast’s services in the community and facilitate referrals to North by Northeast for primary care. The ideal candidate will be resourceful, organized, personable and excellent at building relationships.
For more information on the position, qualifications and how to apply, please see the full job posting below or click below for the PDF:
CHW Job Posting
COMMUNITY HEALTH WORKER
• Non-exempt, 30-40 hours/week, including some evening and/or weekend hours
• Salary: $16-$18 per hour depending on experience
• Benefits include medical/dental insurance, life insurance, long and short term disability, Simple IRA, holidays and paid time off
• CHW training you have completed and experience you have as a CHW.
• Your connection to the community we serve.
• Work with assigned caseload of primary care patients:
o Set health goals and support patients’ health improvement activities.
o Provide home/workplace visits, clinic visits and phone calls.
o Connect patients with social services and help them locate needed resources.
o Empower and train patients to develop the skills and confidence to manage stressful life circumstances.
o Teach patients about a healthy diet and physical activity.
o Accompany patients, as needed, to medical appointments and ensure understanding of follow-up plan.
o Assist patients in understanding their medication and follow-up instructions.
• Meet regularly with Medical Director to discuss CHW caseload and monitor patient health improvement.
• Inform Medical Director and primary care providers about patient needs and circumstances.
• Work with Community Care Manager to implement outreach plan focused on health promotion.
• Support Community Care Manager in implementing “Cuts and Checks” program (blood pressure checks in neighborhood barber shops).
o Ability to connect with and represent the community we serve.
o Commitment to our mission and to exceptional customer service and patient care.
o Ability to create positive, trusting relationships with North by Northeast patients who have complex physical health needs, co-workers, primary care providers and community/clinical partners.
o Demonstrated interest in working in a multi-cultural environment and with people of varied socio-economic backgrounds.
o Knowledge of community resources and ability to navigate healthcare and social service systems.
o Excellent communication skills; ability to use Motivational Interviewing and other evidence-based tools.
o Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
o Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, follow instructions, learn new information quickly and complete tasks on deadline.
o State certification as a Community Health Worker or successful completion of a Community Health Worker training program.
o Experience as a Community Health Worker in a clinical setting.
o Previous employment in the non-profit, social services or healthcare sector.
o Solid computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office and database software.
o Possession of a valid Oregon Driver’s License and ability to drive a car.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk and hear, and be able to operate a personal computer, printer, telephone, copier and fax machine. Travel requiring operation of a motor vehicle is required.