North by Northeast was awarded several generous grants over the past three months, from both longtime and new funders. Here is a summary of those recent grant awards and the great work they will enable us to carry out!
• Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the NW awarded NxNE a grant of $15,000 in honor of Ron Shoals, Kaiser Community Benefit staff member and NxNE board member. Thank you to Ron for his advocacy on our behalf and to Kaiser for their ongoing support.
• In July we were awarded a capacity-building grant of almost $50,000 from Metro’s North Portland Enhancement Fund. This funding supports our commitment to providing culturally-responsive, high-quality primary care services to our neighbors in North Portland.
• Our Community Health Worker program got a big boost of funding from Health Share of Oregon as part of their Community Health Improvement Transformation Project. This generous grant of over $100,000 will enable us to hire a second Community Health Worker (CHW), offer our clinic training to more CHWs and healthcare providers, begin offering group appointments and health education classes, and expand our community outreach, including “Cuts and Checks,” our new barbershop/blood pressure project.
• We are also embarking on a new collaboration with funding from Mt. Hood Community College to provide two “Clinical Topics for Community Health Workers” trainings in the next year as well as spruce up our Community Health Worker training curriculum and Handbook.
• Finally, we were thrilled to hear from Cover Oregon that we were awarded funding to continue doing health insurance enrollment and renewal work for another six months beyond our original grant period dates. This extension of funding will help us as we reach out to patients who are already enrolled in Oregon Health Plan and as we continue to offer enrollment assistance to those who are uninsured.
Thank you to all our generous funding partners. We could not do our work without you!